Friday, December 28, 2012

More no-bean chili...

Paleo Budget tip of the day:
Regarding grass-fed beef:
Local grocery store: $6 - $10 per pound, but possibly good variety
Local warehouse store: $4 per pound (but only available as ground beef)
Local humane farmer: $4 per pound if you buy a share of a cow (if you buy about 30 pounds at once, about $120)
tip #2: Use a big ol' tomato instead of canned to save on BPA exposure.




No-bean Chili

This isn't a cheap dish, but I needed something to take to a potluck. I enjoyed my low-cost chicken version so much that I had to do a beef version as well. This is adapted from Stephanie O'Dea's "crockpot 365" blog - thanks Stephanie! I've done this several times with basic variations on the meat.

Recipe - No-Bean Chili
Ingredients:
2 lbs beef loin sirloin tip steak, cubed
1 lb ground beef
10 oz Spicy Mango Jalapeno Chicken Sausage (or andouille) - you see Italian in the picture, but I actually used both, it needed the spicy cajun style sausage
1 onion (I used 1 c frozen)
1 tomato (or can of diced)
2 cups of beef bouillon
1 tb ground cumin
2 tb chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder

Directions:
Combine everything in the crock pot and cook on low 12 hours or high 4 hours then low 4 hours.

The low-down: It was good, but I actually liked my chicken version better. I will state that several people got seconds and the pot was almost clean by the time we left.









No comments:

Post a Comment