Sunday, December 16, 2012

Day 15 - Cheap and Easy Paleo Chili

Budget tip for the day: Buy chicken at BJ's or Walmart. Both places have a large selection of vegetarian fed, free range, no antibiotics chicken. BJ's was cheaper, though, for the record.
Cheap and Easy Bean-Less Chili
I got this recipe from the Crockpot365 blog. We tried the "Meat Lover's No Bean Chili" and it was delicious. However, it's pretty expensive. So today I'm remaking it, using free range ground chicken (bought at Wegman's at half price for about $2.60) and some free-range chicken sausage. This is delicious! Chicken is less expensive than typical beef, so I wanted to try this out with all chicken based ingredients.



Recipe:
1 lb ground chicken
10 oz chicken sausage, pref. andouille, but we wound up using italian sausage and it worked
1 can tomatoes (I used generic organic)
1 onion (I used 1/2 cup frozen chopped onions)
4 cloves garlic (I used 2 tsp garlic powder)
1 tb cumin
2 tb chili powder
1 t salt (I omitted this, there's enough in the tomatoes for me)
2 c broth (I used "Better than Bouillon Organic Chicken Low-Sodium")
Put all ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low 8 hours. Delish!
Thank you Stephanie O'Dea for this paleo friendly dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment