Sunday, January 6, 2013

Paleo Breakfast Casserole

Paleo budget tip of the day: use frozen veggies to save time and money. In this case, I used frozen organic spinach and frozen pre-cut peppers and onions. Another option is to buy spinach at the salad bar - it's light weight keeps the cost way down, even though it's being charged at $7.99 a pound! This also works for mushrooms. :)


Paleo Egg Casserole


This was delicious! This recipe was adapted from Jason Jacob's slow carb breakfast recipe from his Finding My Fitness blog. I am so excited to share because it was absolutely delicious! Jason is an awesome resource to check out as well - he does a lot with paleo and slow carb. Honestly, I think it was the mango jalapeno chicken sausage that did me in. I picked that up at BJ's (east coast warehouse store.) Any kind of sausage would do, though, the spicier the better! Chorizo, andouille, or chipotle sausages would be good. The Johsonville chicken sausage is cheap and they always have a coupon. I have to wonder about the treatment of those chickens, though. Unfortunately we couldn't afford the organic eggs this week.
From my calculations, this cost me about $1.15 per serving, assuming six servings. Most of the cost is in the eggs and meat. This recipe could be stretched by buying the spinach at the salad bar, adding additional egg whites from a container, adding more onions, and using one less link of sausage.
Here's the recipe:




Ingredients:


7 eggs and 3 egg whites
1 tb butter
1 1/2 cups peppers and onions
3 links spicy chicken sausage
2 cups frozen spinach
1/2 cup coconut milk (I had to use rice milk)
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp sage
1 tsp oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil



Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sauté peppers and onions in a small amount of olive oil until onions are translucent.
3. While that's heating up, melt butter in a big bowl using the microwave.
4. Cut up pre-cooked sausage (or cook sausage first if you are using fresh.)
5. Add eggs to the bowl and whisk until combined.
6. Once onions are done, add everything to the bowl except spinach.
7. Heat up the spinach in the saucepan until it's just wilted, then transfer to a cutting board and cut it into small pieces. The frozen spinach has big chunks.
8. Add spinach to the bowl and mix together.
9. Pour into 9x13 pan and cook at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Voila! Put leftovers in separate containers and eat throughout the week. This was enough for 4 people who eat seconds - add more veggies and eggs for more people, especially if they may want seconds. This would be great to take to a potluck and freezes well. My husband had thirds, and would have had more if I let him.
What do you think? Do you have any breakfast ideas? I never tried sage with my eggs but I've found it to be quite good. Thanks, @FMFBlogger!

No comments:

Post a Comment