Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 4 - Are High School Students Under a Food Spell?

Budget tip for the day: eat ALL your leftovers. Take everything you haven't consumed by Friday and turn it into a soup over the weekend. (even leftovers) This will make all your dishes very creative!

I'm lovin' this diet!

I can't believe how much better I feel. I just feel more alert, energetic, and connected to the world around me if that makes any sense. As a teacher, I see all kinds of crazy things in the classroom, but the thing that concerns me most is the lack of vitality and zest in my students. I'm now beginning to wonder if perhaps this comes from the bad food they are eating.

Today is the big powerball drawing. $550 million dollars. If I won this kind of lottery, I'd want to do an experiment with food. I'd hire a top chef and have them create the most delicious paleo meals in the school lunchroom. Then I would do an analysis of all the behavior problems and cross correlate that with test scores. I bet I would find a difference.

Lovin' it!

I made a beef and sweet potato stew tonight. It was ok, but I don't think I cooked it long enough. Still not hungry, though, and that is great!!

What are your thoughts on food, teenagers, and school lunches?

2 comments:

  1. I am very new to cooking. Would you please post your recipe for the stew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try this: (add to a pot or slow cooker)

    1 sweet potato cut up - nuked in the microwave 2 - 4 minutes until half cooked (saves time)
    1 onion (I used 1/2 cup frozen chopped onions)
    1 - 2 lb beef chuck roast
    1 can diced tomatoes (around the beef)
    1 tbs garlic powder (on top of beef)
    1 - 2 cups beef broth (pour it over everything until it covers half of the beef)

    Layer it in the above order in a pan you can put in the oven. Cook on low 2 to 2.5 hours at 350 degrees, or 4 - 6 hours in crockpot. If you can leave it in the crock pot all day, then don't microwave the potatoes.

    This is a variation on the typical beef stew, substituting sweet potatoes for carrots. Let me know what you think!



    ReplyDelete