Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Day 11 - Cheap and Easy Sausage Soup

Budget tip of the day: grow your own herbs on a balcony or porch and then dry them for the winter. Below is my "vegetable garden" - 2 peppers, 2 tomatoes, and cilantro on the right. Will definitely add more herbs next year!


Sausage Soup


This is a soup of leftovers! I had to use up some things I bought before I went paleo - some half price "Wine and Cheese" pork sausage and some rice. This was really quick and easy because I used pre-cut veggies.

I followed this recipe, but used frozen spinach instead of escarole, dried rosemary instead of fresh, and added mushrooms, carrots, rice, and organic chicken stock to the mix.

The verdict: Delicious, especially after it sat in the fridge overnight.  I should have cooked the rosemary first until it was wilted - it was still hard when I ate it. Also, if I ever use frozen spinach in a dish again, I should certainly cut it up into smaller bits!


178.8 - down .6

No comments:

Post a Comment