Monday, December 10, 2012

Day 9 - The Verdict on the Grocery Bill

Budget tip of the day: buy canned wild salmon instead of fresh.

So... I finally read the first half of The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain. The information on fats was especially enlightening, and I really appreciate the fact that he went into such detail. I have to admit, though, I don't normally eat many of the meats on his list of approved lean proteins.
I tried to incorporate more of the paleo foods into my groceries this week, and was proud to say I was able to keep it under $85 total.

$47 was for paleo foods, the rest for incidentals and my husband's fare. That was good! Some of the upgrades include omega-3 eggs, organic diced tomatoes, almonds, walnuts, organic frozen chopped spinach, lots of fruits and vegetables, and canned wild salmon. I refuse to buy something redundant (like almond flour) until I use up what I already have. Guess I'll be making some whole wheat bread for the holidays!

I excited to try some new recipes this week, such as the baked mustard lime chicken recipe I'm going to crockpot tomorrow. I'm also going to try doing the sweet potatoes in a second crock pot. Yum!

Does anyone have any recipes for livers? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment